On Stage at the IdeaHUB
Don’t forget to check out the IdeaHUB on Thursday
9:30 AM – 9:55 AM
Surviving Story Hour: How to Engage Boys in Group Settings
Michael Reist, author Raising Boys in a New Kind of World and Raising Emotionally Healthy Boys.
Boy energy is a powerful, creative force of nature, but it can be a challenge in group settings. This informative and entertaining workshop will provide librarians and volunteers with practical strategies for engaging boys. Michael Reist has written extensively on the way boys learn, communicate and relate. He is the author of the Canadian bestseller Raising Boys in a New Kind of World and, most recently, Raising Emotionally Healthy Boys.
10:00 AM – 11:25 AM
CANSCAIP Book Launch
- Karen Bass, Uncertain Soldier (Pajama Press)
- Caroline Fernandez, Boredom Busters (Cico Books)
- Sharon Jennings, Home Free (Second Story Press), Dot to Dot (Second Story Press)
- Marthe Jocelyn, What We Hide (Tundra), A Big Dose of Lucky (Orca Book Publishers)
- Kathy Kacer, Stones on a Grave (Orca), The Magician of Auschwitz (Second Story Press)
- Elizabeth MacLeod, Collosal Canada (Scolastic Canada), Galloping through History (Annick Press)
- Sharon McKay, End of the Line (Annick Press), Prison Boy (Annick Press)
- Sylvia McNicoll, Dying to Go Viral (Fitzhenry & Whiteside), Best Friends Through Eternity (Tundra Books)
- Jennifer Mook-Sang, Speechless (Scholastic Canada)
- Liam O’Donnell, Tank and Fizz: The Case of the Slime Stampede (Orca Book Publishers)
- Lorna Schultz Nicholson, Fragile Bones (Clockwise Press)
- Emil Sher, Young Man with Camera (Scholastic/Arthur A. Levine Books)
- Allan Stratton, The Dogs (Scholastic Canada)
- Janet Wilson, Our Heroes: How kids are making a difference (Second Story Press)
- Frieda Wishinsky, Collosal Canada (Scholastic Canada), Avalanche (Scholastic Canada), Shipwreck (Scholastic Canada) Avis Dolphin (Groundwood Books)
11:30 AM – 11:55 AM
New Books for Teens
Maria Martella, Tinlids
Maria Martella will present her favourite new titles for teens.
12:00 PM – 12:25 PM
Insights Through Data: Using a National Data Set to Improve Your Library
Lindsay Thompson, Director Customer Service, Counting Opinions
Public libraries across Canada now have access to a national data set. Find out how to access this data and create peer comparisons, run trend reports and glean insights into your library’s performance.
12:30 PM – 12:55 PM
What’s New in News & Genealogy Resources from ProQuest
Mary Beth Perrot, ProQuest
Join us in the Idea Hub to hear about the latest genealogy and news products from ProQuest. In the past year we have added several new genealogical resources including Fold3 Library Edition and Newspapers.com Library Edition. Join us to learn more about the unique content your patrons can access to unlock their family histories. A worthwhile session to attend if you’re from a public library and have patrons clamouring for genealogy resources!
1:00 PM – 1:25 PM
Compendex Expert Search on EngineeringVillage
Pamela Nila, Engineering and Technology Team, Elsevier
Compendex contains over 18 million indexed abstracts. It is the world’s single largest repository of its type. Although Compendex can be searched on a variety of platforms, using the Expert Search functionality on EngineeringVillage in conjunction with the faceted data will ensure that you have done the most comprehensive engineering search possible.
In this session, learn more about:
- When to use expert searching
- How facets take it one step further
- Document your search for prior art posting
1:30 PM – 1:55 PM
Springer Nature’s New eBook Packages
Mitch Moulton, Account Development Specialist, Springer
As a result of the merger between Macmillan Science and Education and Springer Science+Business Media, Palgrave Macmillan and Springer have decided to align eBook collections. Starting with the 2016 collections, all titles that would have been available on Palgrave Connect are integrated into the Springer eBook collections. As a result, there are now 10 new eBook collections focusing on the humanities, social sciences and business, management and finance disciplines.