On Stage at the IdeaHUB
Don’t forget to check out the IdeaHUB on Thursday
10:00 AM – 10:25 AM
Kenneth Oppel on BLOOM
Kenneth Oppel, Author
Join award-winning children’s author Kenneth Oppel as he discusses his new middle-grade novel, BLOOM, the first book in a can’t-put-it-down, can’t-read-it-fast-enough action-thriller trilogy that’s part Hatchet, part Alien!
10:30 AM – 11:25 AM
CANSCAIP – Forest of Reading®
Thinking about bringing an author to your school? The Canadian Society of Children’s Authors, Illustrators, and Performers (CANSCAIP) proudly presents Members nominated for the Forest of Reading® Awards. Join us for a lively session as some of today’s best children’s authors share a glimpse into the story behind the story.
Blue Spruce Award™
- Helaine Becker, Sloth at the Zoom, Owlkids Books
- Rebecca Bender, Giraffe & Bird Together Again, Pajama Press
Silver Birch Award® Express
- Helaine Becker, Counting on Katherine: How Katherine Johnson Saved Apollo 13, Henry Holt & Company
- Elizabeth MacLeod, Meet Tom Longboat, Scholastic Canada Ltd.
- Lena Coakley, Wicked Nix, HarperCollins Canada
Silver Birch Award®
- Philippa Dowding, Oculum, DCB (formerly Dancing Cat Books)
- Helaine Becker, Hubots: Real-World Robots Inspired by Humans, Kids Can Press
- Lorna Schultz Nicholson, Hayley Wickenheiser: Amazing Hockey Stories, Scholastic Canada Ltd.
Red Maple Award™
- Natasha Deen, In the Key of Nira Ghani, Running Kids Press
Le Prix Peuplier
- Andrew Katz, Comment attraper un ours qui aime lire, CrackBook! Livres
- Mireille Messier, Tellement sauvage!, Éditions D’eux
11:30 AM – 11:55 AM
Resistance, Rights, and Reconciliation – Researching Indigenous History with Canadian Primary Sources
Shannon Ratzer, Sales Specialist, ProQuest
Indigenous studies are an increasingly in-demand area of research and learning. Using national and local Canadian primary source content, we’ll explore historical context for deeper understanding of issues impacting Canada’s First Nations, the Métis, and the Inuit. We’ll also share exciting news on the 2020 ProQuest Primary Sources product roadmap.
12:00 PM – 12:25 PM
Helping Digital Learners in their Research Library Experience
Tony Xu, Co-founder, Rabbit Hole of Knowledge
The Rabbit Hole of Knowledge mines the web for social network reflections and mentions of scholarly publications to help readers quickly understand the research landscape for their interested field and to guide readers on their own learning path.
12:30 PM – 12:55 PM
Etuaptmunk and Two-Eyed Seeing: Acknowledging the many facets of seeing and belonging
Rebecca Thomas, Author
As Rita Joe’s famous poem reads “two ways I talk, both ways I say”, the concept of Etuaptmunk has been around for generations. We often see, teach, and expect the world to operate from our perspective and our perspective alone. Rebecca Thomas will speak on the concept of Two-Eyed seeing and how seeing with both eyes can allow for greater understanding of Indigenous peoples’ plight in what is currently known as Canada.
1:00 PM – 1:55 PM
Meet the Crime Writers of Canada
The members of the Crime Writers of Canada (CWC), ranging from long-established favourites to up and coming first-timers, give you a fast-paced introduction to their newest mystery, suspense and true crime titles, and tell you why they should be in your library.
CWC is a national non-profit organization for Canadian mystery and crime writers, associated professionals, and others with a serious interest in Canadian crime writing. Our mission is to promote Canadian crime writing and to raise the profile of Canadian crime writers with readers, reviewers, librarians, booksellers, and media.
- David Albertyn, Undercard, House of Anansi Press
- Ginger Bolton, Jealousy Filled Donuts, Kensington Publishing Corp.
- Melodie Campbell, Crime Club, Orca Book Publishers
- Brenda Chapman, Turning Secrets, Dundurn
- Delvin Chatterson, Merger Maniac, Tellwell
- Jen J. Danna, No Man’s Land, Kensington Books
- Hilary Davidson, Don’t Look Down, Thomas & Mercer
- Nikki Everts, Evidence of Uncertain Origin, Arboretum Press
- Barbara Fradkin, Blood Ties, Orca Book Publishers
- Karen Grose, The Dime Box, Notebook Publishing
- Madeleine Harris-Callway, In the Key of 13, Carrick Publishing
- Wendy Hewlett, Ailey of Skye, Wendy Hewlett
- Essie Lang, Trouble on the Books, Crooked Lane Books
- Mike Martin, Fire, Fog and Water, Ottawa Press and Publishing
- Lynn McPherson, The Girls Dressed For Murder: An Izzy Walsh Mystery, Black Opal Books
- Daniel McTavish, Nefarious Notions, McTavish Publishing
- Hyacinthe M.Miller, Kenora Reinvented, Write in Plain Sight Press
- Rick Mofina, The Lying House, Mira
- Ken Ogilvie, Hound, Joffe Books Ltd.
- A.G. Pasquella, Carve The Heart, Dundurn Press
- Judy Penz Sheluk, A Fool’s Journey, Superior Shores Press
- Ann Shortell, Celtic Knot: A Clara Swift Tale, FriesenPress
- Mark Swailes, Nothing to Chance, Amazon